Linux running on a S1MP3?

Off-Topic, anything, preferably not related to s1mp3! :)

Moderator: wladston

Postby sirius » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:39 pm

to Darkstar:
yeah, if you wish- you can add me, it's ok. but- where are you from? i'm from poland, and we here use something called "GaduGadu" and "Tlen". you can also still email me, if you have any questions, or even better- login to s1mp3 IRC channel, which is always on, waiting out there, and you even don't need IRC itself, becouse they have an www client as well.
Wladston gave me link to this:
http://www.s1mp3.org/pjirc/

and don't worry to sign to devs mailing corner- i started today, and as for now- i'm still alive; so- i supose, that's not that bad ;)

I'm not very hardcore one too, but more hands to work, will make that work goes faster and easier.

waiting for answer,
cheers

EDIT:
PS. to my previous post- it looks like new calculators are out- new, completly better and much advanced processor is out- reported in some 2gb player; ability of platform decoding ogg, encoding, making use of playlist. so...there are 4 kinds of processors now, and the last one seems to be incompatible with our "these-days" tools. so...it's getting hotter now in OS development ;)

Fw: B002G2V1.1A
Date: 2006/06/24
Core: 3.5.37
Date: 2005/03/15
sirius
Beginner

Postby sirius » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:15 pm

yay! thanks for that- i was sure, that at last 50% of forumers can't fully understand what i'm saing ;)

and again with more data- z80 core is still old 8-bit grandpa, with no mmu, and only 16kb of operating memory. now i'm sure that linux is out of the question, and it's a miracle that anything is going on s1mp3 ;) -joking, but we need very "light" os.

sirius
Beginner

Postby wladston » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:54 am

Coll!! I think we have two more devs on our list!

Be welcome guys, and try to see/get the efforts that have been done till now on the project. It's all on the wiki.

There is a newer chip of the atj comming out, it will have full usb 2.0 speed, but this "magic chip that can play ogg" is still the same old atj2085, with a better firmware version ;)

Note that almost no dev reads the forum, so, if you have something to say, it's much better to use the mail list or the irc channel.

See ya guys,
1GB Standard s1 mp3 player. (MP-482C MAIN V8)
1GB "mp4" s1mp3 player. Not remarked.
I DO __NOT__ reply to PM's. Send email instead. I won't be even notified for new PM's.
wladston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sirius » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:55 pm

wladston wrote:There is a newer chip of the atj comming out, it will have full usb 2.0 speed, but this "magic chip that can play ogg" is still the same old atj2085, with a better firmware version ;)

hmm- i havn't suficient information; just heard of. then it's ok, advance to 2.0 usb is not a great change.

just a queston i must ask devs on irc- can't we just extract dsp firmware from the existing one? decompile it or something? that could be a great speed-up of all works connected to it.

wladston wrote:Coll!! I think we have two more devs on our list!

yes- actually yesterday we were a first-timers on s1mp3 irc channel :P but i can say- it's quite nice there and most of my questions were answered. thanks also for leading me there, i'll try to make some use of my knowledge, to make SWAN project see the sunlight ;)

cheers

sirius
Beginner

Postby scrub50187 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:49 pm

hhhhmmm.... making our own OS but making a programmer for the programmer to assign memory addresses........ time to start counting all of the 1's and 0's. When you are talking about your own OS. Are you talking about flash the player with the ICE interface or using Jtag???? Or are you simply just going flash with the USB cable with the software already out there??? It seems to me that you want to make a new OS from the ground up. But how are you going to get it into the player???? I think that using the capabilities of jtag would greatly help, if we only knew more about all of the pinouts on the player.
type A1 modded F/W 3.2.69 plays .AMV,goes dark w/ MP3
sitting on my front fender backwards riding a wheelie
ImageImage Image
scrub50187
s1 mp3 poster
s1 mp3 poster

Location: In a van, down by the river. Cape Girardeau Missouri

Postby wladston » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:59 pm

@scrub
The atj does not support JTAG, it has a still unknown ICE interface. We are currently loading code on the player using loadram (check the wiki). The Swan project is formalized on the wiki, take a look there :)

@sirius
The problem is that we don't know for sure what is the DSP inside the atj. Take a look on the wiki, there we have all the information known. Feel free to ask the list or the people on IRC any doubt after resing the DSP info from the wiki.
1GB Standard s1 mp3 player. (MP-482C MAIN V8)
1GB "mp4" s1mp3 player. Not remarked.
I DO __NOT__ reply to PM's. Send email instead. I won't be even notified for new PM's.
wladston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sirius » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:10 pm

scrub50187 wrote:hhhhmmm.... making our own OS but making a programmer for the programmer to assign memory addresses........ time to start counting all of the 1's and 0's. When you are talking about your own OS. Are you talking about flash the player with the ICE interface or using Jtag???? Or are you simply just going flash with the USB cable with the software already out there??? It seems to me that you want to make a new OS from the ground up. But how are you going to get it into the player???? I think that using the capabilities of jtag would greatly help, if we only knew more about all of the pinouts on the player.

i don't full understand part about loading... we just gonna make software, and upload it all up to our mp3/4's with update software. and that's it.
as wladston said- ICE interface.

@wladston:
yes, we don't know about the DSP, but why not ask producer? ;) maybe sounds like a joke, i know that specs of this one processor can be hardly accessible, but i'll search for them maybe?

and some edited stuff about processor; infos from irc after some speech to devs:
processor is not whole 24-bit. it's only 8-bit... ;( coprocessor- DSP is actual 24-bit used to decode media (main 8-bit core is only for counting routines, and keeping up GUI and all stuff), next about that is- 16KB of execution memory inside each chip (main and DSP) ; and i'm not sure if not wrong about that, with version of only 16KB total; so very poor let's say ;) and no MMU, which means no dynamic memory alocaions, no switching, offseting... also main memory (used for holding our music data) is not accessible for processor for data execution, it can only store OS data- as it does now. those 16KB goes to share with some unmoveable code, that must be all the time right there.
also inside structure there are some other rather not important thingies, but they do not affect all of the problems. all packed into one singular chip with power of ~60MHz.

that's all i know for now, and still not much enought about the DSP... it needs some time to work out- like all stuff :)

sirius
Beginner

Postby scrub50187 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:46 pm

OK that helps make more sense. I was thinking you guys were going to go completely from the ground up. I am still new to the ICE interface. I am taking classes next semester that will help me out with this. To tell you the truth I have never heard much of ICE tell I got to this site. But everything I have put my mind to, to fix things and learn things I have accomplished with perfection. My programming skills I would say are just a little above the everday persons skills. I can just see the mistakes faster than most people, and find a solution faster...... I might be jumping into this way too fast, already trying to get the solution before fully understanding the software. Luckily I have the perfect test player for ICE, and I am getting another test player for the newer firmwares. Oh it is the 1 GB 1.5" screen with the speakers. So when I get that I will be doing alot of editing on firmwares once I get the right ones that are compatible with my board id. My skills are mainly for engineering, but I love computers too, and they are almost the same. You need computers for engineering, but you have to understand computers to use them. My first computer was a Tandy 1000 in 1985. I started to do easy programming stuff on a AppleIIe when I was 9 years old. I can fix anything, or find the problem with. If you don't have the right part for your car, I can make the wrong one fit.
type A1 modded F/W 3.2.69 plays .AMV,goes dark w/ MP3
sitting on my front fender backwards riding a wheelie
ImageImage Image
scrub50187
s1 mp3 poster
s1 mp3 poster

Location: In a van, down by the river. Cape Girardeau Missouri

Postby sirius » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:49 pm

heh :) that's quite nice scrub50187 :)

but again- more infoe- more changes to previous
MHz's are not in that pink colors we were colouring them...
this is fragment of atj2085 datasheet:

ATJ2085 supports 24.576MHz crystal, which is the system clock source.
A low jitter PLL referenced to 24.576MHz is used to generate clock for DSP and for serial
communication protocols such as USB, UART, etc. The clock used in serial communications is
48MHz so the PLL generates frequency at multiple of 48MHz to support DSP and serial
communication simultaneously. Another PLL referenced to 24.576MHz is used to generate
22.5792MHz for sample rate 44.1K/22.05KHz/11.025KHz.

again...a bit less then i thought...

sirius
Beginner

Other Unix-Like operating systems?

Postby Curupira » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:20 pm

Disclaimer: I'm not a programmer; I'm only an curious individual.

I'm pretty sure Linux won't run on such a simple hardware like our beloved s1mp3 devices :), but I wonder if any of the following unix-like OS's could make it...

http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/
http://www.unixlite.org/
http://www.minix3.org/
http://www.phoenix-rtos.org/

It appears that those are more suited to embedded devices like s1mp3. Peharps one of them could be put to work?
Curupira

Postby sirius » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:25 pm

Nice idea Curupira!
But (i always have to give of those "buts" ;) ) but i don't really think those will do...just look down at specs:

What hardware do I need to run unixlite?
You need an Intel 486 or higher with 4 MB of RAM, an IDE hard disk with 100 MB of free disk space, and an floppy for booting. It is not possible to boot off a hard disk drive (yet)

What hardware do I need to run MINIX 3?
You need an Intel 386 or higher with 4 MB of RAM, an IDE hard disk with100 MB of free disk space, and an IDE CD-ROM for booting. It is not possible to boot off a USB CD-ROM drive (yet).

The simplest among Phoenix-RTOS projects aim for ARM processors:
Presently tests of Advantech SOM-A255x Series module are led. Advantech SOM-A255x Series System On Module is based on Intel XScale® PXA-255 CPU, which is a highly integrated, 32-bit RISC processor with the ARM v. 5TE instruction set.

i can't understand that love unix, liux, whatever. is our own production worse then those? our OS is going be to more dedicated- and so- faster. we have only poor 8-bit main processor with 24MHz cristal and a 5hity-quantity of internal memory- 16KB, and only there execution is possible. anything else is not worth game- after viewing all the specs of our beloved s1mp3 it's quite clear, that we shouldn't expect much from it. and if you like those -ix systems, you can make a theme for future OS to give it a specific taste...we don't really see what's rocking inside, do we? ;)

cheers

sirius
Beginner

Z80 unix implementation

Postby inFinie » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:11 pm

inFinie

Re: Linux running on a S1MP3?

Postby imak21 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:07 pm

slt mon mp3 j vx le flacher mé je ne si pas comt svp aide moi et merci
imak21

Re: Linux running on a S1MP3?

Postby Schopf » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:36 pm

Just in English, please.
If you cant write in English, at least use a translator: http://www.nicetranslator.com

--------------

Tout en anglais, s'il vous plaît.
Si vous ne pouvez pas écrire en anglais, au moins l'utilisation d'un traducteur: http://www.nicetranslator.com
Schopf

Previous

Return to Free chat