ok.. what would i need to code a video converter?

Video encoding, MTV, DMV, AMV, AMR, fps and everything video-related

Moderator: scrub50187

ok.. what would i need to code a video converter?

Postby pedrotuga » Thu May 31, 2007 9:06 pm

I looked around in these forums and i got really surprised, There is a lot of unnecessary topics and the important information is really spread. I understand why it says in the main site that the forums are very time consuming for the simp3.org team.

To be honest i don't know the specifications of any video format, but i can read the documentation.
But i think we need to make some development in this area.
Like... code a library do create MTV or AMV movies that can be reused by developers.

I don't have programming experience in packing video, but i wouldn't mind to get into it.

What libraries exist out there that could be usefull to a converter aplication?
pedrotuga

Re: ok.. what would i need to code a video converter?

Postby pedrotuga » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:20 am

Ok, I'll give this topic another try.
I've been reading stuff about video formats out there and it's a bizarre dark swamp. Not so much documentation, not so much talk about, almost no code samples... zoix.

Anyway, i got somewhere, aparently the amv video format is basically a header and a set of jpg frames alternating with blocks of fixed size mp3. Now this looks quite simplistic and nice, it can hypothetically make things easier.

I think the best way to go would be support for amv output in ffmpeg. ffmpeg is going through a lot of fast and intense development, and the documentation is noting catching up. They don't even have the doxygen docs on their site, i had to find them somewhere else.

I believe this is of extreme importance, once we have amv support for ffpeg it will be possible to convert from basically any video format without need for crappy chain convertions.
Anybody interested in collaborate with this??
pedrotuga

Postby tomvb » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:04 am

Hi Pedro,

I'd love to help out on this. Dobrica (rot13.org) and Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet both have experience with the AMV format and have volunteered to help out as well. We should set up some svn and/or trac stuff so we can code on it together.

What we'd all like to see is a linux-compatible AMV converter.
tomvb

Postby pedrotuga » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:35 pm

It worthed it! I am glad i dug this thread.

Ok, I would then ask you to notify me in some way, email, pm, by answering this thread ( i subscribed it ) , whatever. Just let me know.
As said, I would suggest we use ffmpeg as that would make amv output available in a lot of applications out there that use ffmpeg. But we can discuss that latter.
I can contribute with C or C++ code, but I would prefer not to participate directly on the development roadmap definition as i don't have so much experience on that.

Ok... looking forward to this to take off. Let me know abut some advances.
pedrotuga

Postby alex2pb » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:32 pm

I have a DLL that is a video decoder coded in Visual C++. I didn't build it, but it was given to me by a chinese friend. It comes with full sourcecode but remember it is only a decoder! It has example app too and it's fully commented. If you need it drop me a line here in this topic.
alex2pb

Project page is up at Google Code

Postby tomvb » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:27 am

Hi,

I don't have much experience with setting up the development tools but I gave it a go to get us started; I started a project for this on Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/amv-codec-tools/

It's the first time I use Google Code so I don't know if this is the best choice, but I thought Dobrica suggested this.

I think it's best if everyone who's interested in the project signs up there; I will notify Dobrica and Reynaldo about this too.

Thx Alex; could you put the DLL source code and stuff up on the project page as a download ? Do you feel like helping out with the project as well ?

I'll see you at Google Code !
tomvb

Postby alex2pb » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:45 pm

Allrighty! I'm in! I have much experience in coding user interfaces (including skinned ones) but because I do not use c++ we need another programmers to help. This is my idea: We must create a decoder and an encoder, both dlls. I can call them from the program i'll be doing. Notice that the good part is that the language I program in is fully optimized and works on windows, linux, mac and amiga so we're good to go. About the google code webpage, I need one of you guys to subscribe me to the project.
alex2pb

Return to Video related (MTV, AMV, encoders, etc.)