Cannot select different folders in Local Folder.

Support requests related to player usage

Cannot select different folders in Local Folder.

Postby Lexy78 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:11 am

Hi there,

I'm really sorry if the answer to this question has been answered elsewhere, but I have been unable to find it in all my browsing. Feel free to just direct me to a post if you like!

Ok, I've recently bought my player from ebay. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/0-99-bid-4GB-MP4 ... dZViewItem
It is from the seller "ed2city".

It's listed as 4GB but apparently it really only has a 2GB capacity. I've only loaded 1GB of songs on so far though so I am yet to find out if I have issues once I hit the 2GB mark. I have found this out after contacting a few members off the feedback listing to see if they have the same folder problem as me - it was about 50/50 as to if they had the same problem or not.

Anyway, I can't change folders. I know a lot of people have this problem, but mine seems to be a little different. I can get to the local folder, and then when I go to the / it shows all the album folders I have in there (21 folders currently) but I can't scroll through them. I can't move the highlight bar to select another folder. I press left/right (fast forward/rewind) and nothing happens. So it acts like I haven't done anything and then just goes back to the song that I was playing before accessing the local folder. I was told that the repeat mode needs to be set to normal, which it is.

So like a lot of people I have to click through song by song to get to another folder. It just takes so long that it's not even worth bothering with.

I don't know if it needs a software update or anything. It was only $60AUD so it's still an awesome buy - would just really love to be able to change folders!!!

Any help would be fantastic. Sorry, I don't even know what version it is. It looks like those nano rip-offs but it says "menu" instead of just "M", if that's any help...

Thanks HEAPS in advance.
Lexy.
Lexy78

Postby miketowninc » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:46 pm

does any one know i have the same problem
miketowninc
Beginner

Postby ian_hawdon » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:35 am

yes, it sound like you will need a firmware update, but you MUST make a back up of your current firmware.

Also, you will need the board ID, to see if there are any firmwares that have been tested on your player.

If you can live with the problem though, you should leave the player the way it is.
Who is General Error and why is he reading my hard drive? :D

If any of my posts have helped you, or if you're interested, click this link and sign up to help me get a free iPhone: http://apple.real-incentives.com/40461
ian_hawdon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby miketowninc » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:41 pm

has this problem been solved?
miketowninc
Beginner

Postby miketowninc » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:26 pm

is there?
miketowninc
Beginner

Postby Banana » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:33 pm

Leaving the memory hack is dangerous, try this:
http://www.mympxplayer.org/how-to-remov ... t2400.html
Banana
S1 ++ poster
S1 ++ poster

Postby miketowninc » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:14 pm

we dont have memory hacks
miketowninc
Beginner

Postby Banana » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:09 pm

we dont have memory hacks

Sure there is, read the original post:
It's listed as 4GB but apparently it really only has a 2GB capacity.

Devices with hacked memory tend to stop working soon if hack is not removed.
Banana
S1 ++ poster
S1 ++ poster

hey

Postby hiddenlink » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:12 am

hey
your problem is just on the way you browse. dont go on FW upgrade if your not really sure about it. well speaking of hacked memory, just reformat it.
Now the procedure is this:
1. pause when your are playing a song.
2. click menu. it will go on local folder. click menu again.
3. it will show you to a directory like this: \
4. highlight it. click it again. it must show now your folders. note that folders with no songs in it cannot be shown in music category. only to the category it belongs.

now your off.

iPod nano Clone 1gb v. 9.0.48
i cannot modify its firmware, can anyone give me the tool.
hiddenlink
s2 poster

Postby KDMcMullan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:11 pm

Yeah. I THOUGHT I had this problem, but it turned out I just needed to read the manual.

In the directory list, you can't scroll up and down. You use left and right to go up and down, which is absolutely not intuitive. You use M to select and item (not the middle button). Again, absolutely counter-intuitive.

With respect to your 2Gb/4Gb problem, mine USED to be a 4Gb player. Then I made the mistake of switching it into "multi-drive" mode (just trying to figure out what it did). This made it appear as a 2Gb drive and a 37Mb drive. When I switched it back to single drive mode, only the 2Gb partition was available.

I'm well pissed off about that.
KDMcMullan

Postby Banana » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:17 pm

Hehe, being counter-intuitive is a feature of S1 players.

For the memory: 99% chances your player was hacked. The hack consist exactly too fool the OS (Windows) to think the player is 4GB while in reality it only has 2GB (or much less, you were lucky, others have much more spectacular drop). When doing certain actions you remove the hack and make the real capacity appear. Switching to "multi-drive" was not a mistake by the way. With hacked memory your player would likely have died quite soon.
Banana
S1 ++ poster
S1 ++ poster

Postby KDMcMullan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:38 pm

Banana wrote:Hehe, being counter-intuitive is a feature of S1 players.

I hope the S1MP3 guys make some headway soon on their replacement. I cannot imagine why anyone would have written a piece of software so DREADFUL as the version in my player.

Banana wrote:For the memory: 99% chances your player was hacked. The hack consist exactly too fool the OS (Windows) to think the player is 4GB while in reality it only has 2GB (or much less, you were lucky, others have much more spectacular drop).

No way! Is this a reasonably typical feature of these Nano ripoffs?

Banana wrote:When doing certain actions you remove the hack and make the real capacity appear. Switching to "multi-drive" was not a mistake by the way. With hacked memory your player would likely have died quite soon.

Does this explain the corruption I was seeing in my directory listing? Was Windows trying to write to a chunk of "disk" that wasn't even there?

I'm kind of relieved, but also really very annoyed about that!!

Can you tell me more?

Many thanks for getting back to me.
KDMcMullan

Postby KDMcMullan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:39 pm

Oh, yeah. Nearly forgot:

Banana wrote:With hacked memory your player would likely have died quite soon.

Why?

Thanks again!
KDMcMullan

Postby Banana » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:58 am

I hope the S1MP3 guys make some headway soon on their replacement. I cannot imagine why anyone would have written a piece of software so DREADFUL as the version in my player.

Well, even if you can't imagine, our chinese friends deliver such firmwares since years and only now begin to fix the old bugs.

No way! Is this a reasonably typical feature of these Nano ripoffs?

This is in the opposite a real plague. :evil: Ebay is litteraly flooded by such offers. And until now it works very well (just see how many of this crooks are still in business and have very few negative comments).

Does this explain the corruption I was seeing in my directory listing? Was Windows trying to write to a chunk of "disk" that wasn't even there?

Yes!

Why? Well, it seems that the firmware files gets moved on the memory chip from time to time. Now, if they are written to a place that does not exist (the firmware files get moved to the end of the 4GB when you have 2GB in reality for example), the firmware files get lost and your player will not start up any more.
Banana
S1 ++ poster
S1 ++ poster

Postby KDMcMullan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:58 am

Banana wrote:
Well, it seems that the firmware files gets moved on the memory chip from time to time. Now, if they are written to a place that does not exist (the firmware files get moved to the end of the 4GB when you have 2GB in reality for example), the firmware files get lost and your player will not start up any more.

I think I maybe have an answer to this. I know that a proper implementation of FAT32 will not delete or overwrite files unless it really has to, which is why you can "undelete" files several days after they were deleted. (Only the filename is deleted fro the file allocation table.) If I were making such an implementation, I would remove the FAT entry, then write to the portion of the disk which contained the oldest data (or no data at all). This would mean that you could write past the 2Gb point even if you had an apparently "blank" machine.

I can't imagine why the firmware would move, though.
KDMcMullan

Next

Return to Player usage