Cannot select different folders in Local Folder.

Support requests related to player usage

Postby Banana » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:24 am

If I'm correct the firmware is split in two: a part that resides in dedicated memory which is used to boot and then the rest of the files on the main memory chip. That files are moving is only a hypothesis, as I don't know really what happens. What is sure is that players with hacked memory all fail after some time and don't start up anymore (usually hang at the hourglass). A second theory, when I'm just thinking at it, could be that the FAT gets corrupted and the boot loader don't find the rest of the firmware any more.
This would mean that you could write past the 2Gb point even if you had an apparently "blank" machine.

How do you mean this? FAT implementations usually don't let you write over the specified memory.
Banana
S1 ++ poster
S1 ++ poster

Postby KDMcMullan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:09 am

Banana wrote:If I'm correct the firmware is split in two: a part that resides in dedicated memory which is used to boot and then the rest of the files on the main memory chip. That files are moving is only a hypothesis, as I don't know really what happens.

I think it's a reasonable hypothesis. It may be that defaults that you store (eg radio stations) become part of the existing data files and it periodically does some sort of defragmentation.

Banana wrote:A second theory, when I'm just thinking at it, could be that the FAT gets corrupted and the boot loader don't find the rest of the firmware any more.

Actually, I'd say that's much more likely that your first hypothesis, or my subsequent ramblings. I hadn't realised that part of the firmware was in the file data part. :roll: If, when you try to write past the end of the "disk", you corrupt the FAT, it makes sense that you would no longer be able to see the bits of the firmware which are resident there.

Banana wrote:
KDMcMullan wrote:This would mean that you could write past the 2Gb point even if you had an apparently "blank" machine.

How do you mean this? FAT implementations usually don't let you write over the specified memory.

Agreed, but I was talking about my hacked player, where Windows is misled into writing past the top of the memory. I speculate that Windows "thinks" it's writing to memory location 2Gb+1, but in reality, the memory address pointer has overflowed and the player is actually writing to memory location 0.

Actually, this gives us a third (and equally likely) hypothesis. The host PC writes to address 2^31 (2Gb = 2,147,483,648 bytes), because it's "thinks" it has 4Gb to play with. However, the device only contains 2^31 memory locations (numbered 0 to 2,147,483,647) so when the PC tries to write to location 2,147,483,647, it's actually writing to location 0 because the adress pointer has rolled over.

this COULD mean that the misled FAT code in the player itself would eventually overwrite the firmware with garbage.

This would be compounded by the fact that whatever it was trying to write might have hit location 2,147,483,647 in the middle of a message, so the data hitting address 0 would not be sensible. (You would expect address 0 to contain the start of some data, no tthe middle of some data.)

See what I mean? That would explain the FAT getting messed up and the ultimate demise of the firmware.
KDMcMullan

Postby Banana » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:40 pm

This seems plausible too :D
Banana
S1 ++ poster
S1 ++ poster

Postby miketowninc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:30 am

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND MINE IS NOT HACKED.I HAVE 1 gb
miketowninc
Beginner

Postby Banana » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:00 am

1. How do you know your player is not hacked?
2. What do you do for changing folder?
Banana
S1 ++ poster
S1 ++ poster

Postby miketowninc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:21 pm

1: i have a 1gb player which are hardly ever hacked and I did remove a hack thing and it says i have 1 gb. so all good i think.(and it holds alot of songs)
2:I have 4 different mp4 in my family so i do same to all and the others work.
miketowninc
Beginner

Postby Banana » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:35 pm

Actually I never asked about the three ones that work ...

What do you do on the one that doesn't work (how far do you get)?
Banana
S1 ++ poster
S1 ++ poster

Postby miketowninc » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:52 pm

well i stop playing the music
then i click menu
then i click local folder
then at this point im in the menu of some artist and i have all thier songs so then i move up
then i click on /
then i get to the folder were other artists folders are and i can move up and down because if just clicks on menu it self and it goes back to that folder before.

pretty cheap
did you understand well enough

thanks
miketowninc
Beginner

Postby Banana » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:03 pm

then i get to the folder were other artists folders are and i can move up and down because if just clicks on menu it self and it goes back to that folder before.

When you press "Menu" for selecting a folder say "A", do you get to this artist folder first where you can select "/" again or will the player exit directly. If first is the case, try entering the artist folder and wait for about 10 seconds (LCD/light should switch off) whitout pressing anything then press play.
Banana
S1 ++ poster
S1 ++ poster

hey

Postby hiddenlink » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:29 am

well i stop playing the music
then i click menu
then i click local folder
then at this point im in the menu of some artist and i have all thier songs so then i move up
then i click on /

hehe, it seems you mispressed the play button buddy.
mp3 Player fanatic
lovers of killer smiles (",)
iPod nano Clone 1gb v. 9.0.48
i cannot modify its firmware, can anyone give me the tool.
hiddenlink
s2 poster

Previous

Return to Player usage