General help

Support requests related to player usage

General help

Postby eimiar » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:59 am

Hello, I'm a new user,
I have found this forum with google, and I appreciate all the work you've done.

I need to know specifically all of this works...
I've read almost anything I could read, and if I didn't understand wrong, for now there's a way to recover the s1mp3 firmware...

ok
that's not what I need, however:

Is there a way to improve the firmware?
I am a developer, and before reversing the mp3 player on my own I wanted to ask all of you since you're studying in this project more than me...

maybe there's the answer on the site... but I might not have seen it

oh, and by the way... are the s1mp3s all the same?
for example, I have an AUDIOLA PDR703 1gb... is it the same as every other kind of mp3?

Is there an IRC channel where to talk with developers?

Thanks for all your help
eimiar

Re: General help

Postby Zim_256 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:25 am

eimiar wrote:Hello, I'm a new user,
I have found this forum with google, and I appreciate all the work you've done.

I need to know specifically all of this works...
I've read almost anything I could read, and if I didn't understand wrong, for now there's a way to recover the s1mp3 firmware...

ok
that's not what I need, however:

Is there a way to improve the firmware?
I am a developer, and before reversing the mp3 player on my own I wanted to ask all of you since you're studying in this project more than me...
maybe there's the answer on the site... but I might not have seen it

oh, and by the way... are the s1mp3s all the same?
for example, I have an AUDIOLA PDR703 1gb... is it the same as every other kind of mp3?

Is there an IRC channel where to talk with developers?

Thanks for all your help

You can read the Wiki, there's a project named SWAN that pretends to make a new, universal, replacement firmware for the S1MP3 players.
Right now, the project is freezed because of no participation of the members.
The main problem with the S1 MP3 players is that all are different at hardware level, you can find in the download area a lot of firmwares of the same version and functions but for different players.
To modify, optimize or improve the firmware you have to disassemble it, it's all written in Z80 code, the microprocessor included in the ATJ20xx chip.
With the launch of new players with the last series of ATJ chips (2091) there's more difficult to develop a universal firmware because we known nothing about the new SoC.
Z6 Comp Sys
Zim_256
s1 mp3 poster
s1 mp3 poster

Postby Banana » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:26 am

Zim_256 said the most important things. For now, there is no way to improve the firmware. The "original" ones are closed source while the developpement of an open source alternative has stalled (if something was ever developped). So I don't see big chances that we ever see better firmware. :evil:

A supposed universal firmware of any use (to most people) would need outstanding autodetect capabilities in order to cover the many hardware variations (screens, ATJ chips), it would also require some intelligent keymapping feature (in order to adress the different key layouts). The solution the chinese have choosen is poor and will never give any good firmware (no incentives for it - and those who would have are barred out).
Banana
S1 ++ poster
S1 ++ poster

Return to Player usage