No file and folder names in menus of 1GB silver MP4 player.

Support requests related to player usage

No file and folder names in menus of 1GB silver MP4 player.

Postby MikeL » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Hello,

I bought a 1GB silver MP4 player that looks like this one: http://www.epathchina.com/new-1gb-18-inch-tft-screen-mp4-player-silver-color-p-1379.html,
except it has a little different bottom (The exit for the USB cable is much smaller).

Info about my player: VID=0603 PID=B5D3.

I have a problem with it. I don't see file names and folder names in the player's interface. I changed the language to English (It was an Asian language), but all the files and folders don't have a name, I simply see an Icon indicating the file type (for example a music icon) and then an empty line instead of the file name, I can still play the file though, and it works OK, but I don't have a file name or description of the file in the playing window as well.
The same thing happens in the case of a folder, I have a folder Icon at the start of the line and then empty space in the area where it is obvious that the folder name is supposed to appear.

Also, the player is supposed to read text files, but when I tried to open a text file I made, there was no text on the page.

All the file and folder names I made are in English, also even the files that came with the player (and one of them had an Asian name) don't have a name in the player's menus. I also tried a file with a number for a name, and it still didn't show the file name.

Can you please help me?

Thank you.
MikeL

Re: No file and folder names in menus of 1GB silver MP4 player.

Postby Schopf » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:55 am

Did you try another language? French, Spanish? Same problem?
Schopf

Postby MikeL » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:08 am

Schopf wrote:Did you try another language? French, Spanish? Same problem?

Yes, I tried files written in different languages, as I said I tried to have file names made out of number only (for example 1.mp3), I also noticed that even the files that came with the player and had a name written in an Asian language (I saw that they have an Asian name when I plugged my player to the PC) don't have a name in the players interface.

I also tried to change the player's language to different languages that came with the player, including Chinese, but that didn't help either: All the files and folders in the player had an empty line instead of a name.

I wanted to use the player to listen to audio books, but unfortunately it is impossible now because I cant see which of the files is the next chapter, and they are not ordered alphabetically for some reason :(

EDIT: I read somewhere that it might be a tag problem on the audio files, so I tried to remove all tags from the files and also put tags in all fields, but that didn't help. I don't think it is a tag problem because it doesn't show names of folders and doesn't read text files as well, but I just wanted to check this.
MikeL

Postby Schopf » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Its a very weird problem, really.

I *think* its a firmware problem, but you cant upgrade the firmware (otherwise you will loose your player). So, may you return it to your supplier? I think its easier solution.

If not, lets see... Can you see other things in whole display? I mean, icons, menus, etc? Isnt a dead pixel problem? Did you try using several musics, from internet? Maybe you use to rip musics and tags are getting incompatible with your player. Is video player working fine?

Sorry, I cant think in anything else to help you.
Schopf

Postby MikeL » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:23 pm

Schopf wrote:Its a very weird problem, really.

I *think* its a firmware problem, but you cant upgrade the firmware (otherwise you will loose your player). So, may you return it to your supplier? I think its easier solution.

If not, lets see... Can you see other things in whole display? I mean, icons, menus, etc? Isnt a dead pixel problem? Did you try using several musics, from internet? Maybe you use to rip musics and tags are getting incompatible with your player. Is video player working fine?

Sorry, I cant think in anything else to help you.

Unfortunately returning it to the supplier is very complicated, so its not really an option :(

I can see everything on the display (icons, menus) and even lines of text inside the menus, videos also work. The only thing I cant see is file and folder names. I tried different music and different tags and it didn't help. I'm quite sure the problem is not the music, because as I said every file and folder in the player don't have a name.

I'm also pretty sure its a firmware problem so replacing it should fix that, but you said I will lose my player?
Can you please explain a bit more about where I can find firmware for my player, and why you think I will lose my player if I upgrade?
I did a little search about firmware and I think I can backup my current firmware before trying to upgrade, so If something goes wrong I will be able to put it back, am I right?
I got the player for about 10$ so I'm not that afraid to experiment.

Thank you.
MikeL

Postby Schopf » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:35 pm

100% of people who try to "update" firmware to another one, different from original, kill the player. You just can "extract" your own firmware, modify and upload it to player again.

But... Extracting is not possible to firmware of series 9.x (newer devices).

You may keep this player as a cheap option to listen to radio, movies, even mp3 and can use it as a pendrive. If its cheap for you, buy another one, different brand.
Schopf

Postby MikeL » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:35 pm

Schopf wrote:100% of people who try to "update" firmware to another one, different from original, kill the player. You just can "extract" your own firmware, modify and upload it to player again.

But... Extracting is not possible to firmware of series 9.x (newer devices).

You may keep this player as a cheap option to listen to radio, movies, even mp3 and can use it as a pendrive. If its cheap for you, buy another one, different brand.

I tried to use different programs from this site (the tools section: http://www.s1mp3.org/en/downloads_tools.php) to extract the firmware, but the "S1fwx tool" and "Mp4 S1mp3 tool" didn't recognize my player (couldn't find it while it was connected).
I also tried "Product tools v 4.19" but it crashes when I start it.

I would really like to do something with the players firmware before I give up, since I'm quite sure that what I'm experiencing is a firmware bug.

Do you know of any programs that might work with an Ipod nano clone like mine (pictures to a similar device in my first pic)?
Or maybe it doesn't work because it has a new firmware version?
What do you think I should do to extract my firmware, if it is even possible?
MikeL

Postby Schopf » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:31 pm

Maybe WiRe can help you or you can create your own tool: http://s1mp3.de/
Schopf

Return to Player usage