How can I reformat my player under Linux ubuntu ?

Post here if you have problems with decreased memory or formatting problems.

How can I reformat my player under Linux ubuntu ?

Postby aztec13 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:48 am

I have my "chinese" nano clone fake ipod player reading "format Error" some files vanished from selection and others just wont play or transfer copy either w/o saying there is an error or its broken. I cant delete them either. And even though some of the files aren't there the space they take up is. i did a scan using windows xp that had a box that you checked and it automaticly fixed those errors if any that it encountered. and it also had reformat as an option. Isnt there anything i can do like that or do i have to go borrow someones XP ? HOW can I re Format ? Can i fix it and start over fresh and new with my firmware un damaged or no chance of hurting it. What are my options. I should be fine if I dont even care about losing my files right ?
aztec13

Re: How can I reformat my player under Linux ubuntu ?

Postby Banana » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:32 pm

Format to ext2 then back to vfat using mkfs or Gparted.

See documentation and Ubuntu forums for more info about using mkfs and Gparted (install is via Synaptic/apt-get).

Note: both tools ARE dangerous if used inappropriately so be carefull with what you do.
Banana
S1 ++ poster
S1 ++ poster

Re: How can I reformat my player under Linux ubuntu ?

Postby kimmik » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:38 pm

To format your player under linux.

Go to the terminal:
mkfs.vfat -F 16 /dev/sdX1 (replacing X with your USB key drive letter)

That's it, you should now have a restored USB key with a single fat 16 partition that can be read from any computer.

If your player works with FAT32, do:
mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdX1 (replacing X with your USB key drive letter)

If you had a encrypted partition also on this player, you maybe have to follow the steps shown in the next link.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/07/19 ... partition/

Choosing to format my player with Gparted, choosing fat16 didn't work for me.
(I could use the player as usb stick, but the player couldn't play any music. The size of the fat16 partition made by Gparted was 980MB, while after formatting with mkfs.vfat is was 1011MB)
kimmik

Return to Memory and formatting problems