The Disk Tool

General posts about the s1mp3 user interface.

The Disk Tool

Postby Big_T » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi guys :-)

I programmed a little application called "The Disk Tool" to solve the order "problem" ... normally MP3 USB Stick's plays the music files in the order they copied ... my tool can sort the files by order them in the FAT (12, 16, 32) ... at this time only the root directory is sorted ... it works with all FAT filesystems.

It's a beta Version and in the next weeks I add the recursive functionallity. Please try it - later I want to public it as open source under gpl/gnu licence, at this time it's a "get as it is" and "use it on your own risk". With F1 you get a short description of the command line parameters. Ctrl shows a dialog (after clicking the "sort FATxx" button) with the sorted files (old order, new order) and Shift key hides the question message box before every write access. The .net framework is needed, it's a c# programm which should basically also works under mono. A good idea is to use chkdsk (fsck.vfat) before and after sorting - the original sector and the sorted is stored in the temp folder as "sectornumber - backup.bin" and "sectornumber - sorted.bin". They are used to write the sorted files and to undo ...

http://www.schund-entertainment.de/PostNuke/index.php?name=UpDownload&req=getit&lid=37

Some notes

- I used 5 api calls only for the direct/raw access to the block device - I sort the long file names alphabetically
- no file will be moved only the directory will be written new
- for the sorting and accessing the FAT/directory I use no special windows api function
- I'am sorry but I use 3 more api calls, one to get keyboard events and two to get the existing drives ...
- there should be no problems if you have .net framework 1.01 and or 2.0x

If someone have questions or corrections please write them to me. Also for the written text, because please my english ... my mother language is german.

Add-On:
- you can jump directly into a file or folder with a double click (or the Return/Enter key) if the cursor is in a line with a short name entry and the file system is FAT

new version 0.6beta out
- no no recursive option :-(, only a not enableling checkbox ... for the future
- but you can sort every folder you jump - for this the "sort folder" button is enabled depending from location (folder / file / other), and the first sector of choosen folder will be saved in a hash table
- one more commandline option /sector: or /s: very high risk !!! no test if there's really a folder structure !
- if or if not folder structures can only be browsed (and saved in a hashtable) by navigation from the rootdirectory to the others, and only the first sector of the folder structure make the "sort folder" button enabled

!!! ALERT !!! ALERT !!! ALERT !!! ALERT !!!
Please sort only the root folder ! Never (with this version) other folders, this or next week make a new bugfixed version ...
Last edited by Big_T on Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Big_T

Postby ian_hawdon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:50 pm

please report if this works
Who is General Error and why is he reading my hard drive? :D

If any of my posts have helped you, or if you're interested, click this link and sign up to help me get a free iPhone: http://apple.real-incentives.com/40461
ian_hawdon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MOVnet » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:27 pm

Unfortunately is not working for me because your tool was wrote using .NET and I don't have the framework.
Would be nice if you write it using a language that don't need such file.
MOVnet

not working

Postby Big_T » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:16 pm

You're right - without .net frameworks it's useless. And not only this, also you have to use a windows (the evil empire) .net framwork. My point of view is it's free you can download and install it, it's like java. If I'm ready with the subfolder sorting program part - I think about to add the source and publish it under gnu/gpl, but at this time it's to early in my opion. Then someone can make a transform to c or c++ - c# have much elemets of them.
Big_T

Re: not working

Postby MOVnet » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:21 pm

Great Idea. Keep us posted !
MOVnet

Return to General Usability