decreased Player memory

Hardware hacks, chipset information and other hardware related topics.

Postby ian_hawdon » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:14 pm

not nesseserily, mabey if you put it all back together very well, the seller may not even notice it is gone. or you could stick a peice of white paper in its place :D
Who is General Error and why is he reading my hard drive? :D

If any of my posts have helped you, or if you're interested, click this link and sign up to help me get a free iPhone: http://apple.real-incentives.com/40461
ian_hawdon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tr1p1ea » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:14 pm

You could just make it look like there was no sticker on it at all. I mean you think he would have actually opened it too?
tr1p1ea

Postby wladston » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:26 pm

I too think it' best to close it the best way you can and leave it without the stiker ...

I too doubt the guy has opened it ...
1GB Standard s1 mp3 player. (MP-482C MAIN V8)
1GB "mp4" s1mp3 player. Not remarked.
I DO __NOT__ reply to PM's. Send email instead. I won't be even notified for new PM's.
wladston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jackiass » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:40 am

Ok. I've give it a try. I've placed my own homemade sticker inside with the same text. Hoping for the best :wink:
Jackiass

Postby wladston » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:23 pm

I guess the seller won't even open it ..
:)

And if he does and tell you something, NEVER tell him you opened it! Unless it's a honest-like seller.
I DO __NOT__ reply to PM's. Send email instead. I won't be even notified for new PM's.
wladston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pg » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:47 am

I was one of the first few on this forum to experience the now famous 119MB "shrink". I have watched this thread and tried several things. Now I have no more illusions. The memory chip on the device I bought is a Hynix http://www.hynix.com/datasheet/eng/flas ... 081G2M.jsp - It is a 1Gb device - if you are careful about it - it is 1G "bit" - so rightfully 128 MByte. The only hitch is that chinese sellers (as in Silk Street in Beijing) are lying about the device, actually faking the FAT to show 1GByte (977MB) when they sell it. I had bought it on "guarantees" i.e. their business card - so I will try to give it back to them!

Take care, many of the memory chips that I see indicated in this thread on many other devices are 1 Giga "bit".
pg

Postby maia » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:43 pm

Finally solved (summary: two players of 512MB size went corrupted copying more than 120MB of MP3s):

- I sent back one of the two players to the seller, who replaced it with a working one (the other was disassembled and out of warranty).
- made a backup (under Linux OS) of the working player's filesystem;
- restored this backup to the other faulty player, that is now working fine!

Many many many thanks to Ariel for the useful hints about the backup procedure! :mrgreen:

(I tried ALL the procedure you suggested, but only this one worked for me)
maia

Postby maia » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:27 pm

the procedure was explained by Ariel some pages ago:
viewtopic.php?p=4045#4045

Ariel wrote:[omissis]
... doing "cat /dev/sda |gzip >mybackup.gz" will create a copy of your USB filesystem on a compressed file on your hard drive; this could come handy if the rest of this procedure fails. (To restore such backup, do "zcat mybackup.gz >/dev/sda").
[omissis]

Another way is explained here (both for Windows and Linux users):
viewtopic.php?t=833

hope this helps :-)
maia

Postby wladston » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:16 pm

Can any of you - memory issue expert guys - write some content to the wiki ?

wiki.s1mp3.org
wladston
Site Admin
Site Admin

How to tell your mp3 player's memory's gonna decrease

Postby jay_444 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:43 am

Open the MP3 Player Disk Tool and go to Partition and Encrypt tab. Look in the Partition box and read 'Disk total capacity XXXMB'.
For my 512 MB player the capacity is shown as 119 MB, even though in the Format tab, the capacity shows 497 MB.
It is a newly bought player and I have not formatted it yet. It copies files above 119 MB but corrupts them. Also, I have a few 'ghost' files on it - files I had deleted, but now showing up as 0 kb files - which keep reappearing even when I delete them.
jay_444

Finally a trusworthy seller

Postby Jackiass » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:54 pm

YES- the chinaman who sold me the faulty (or wrongly labled) player have send me a new one that works, AND he paid for all the shipping from Denmark to China and back again. Sometimes a little trust is in it's right place!
Jackiass

Postby windom » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:14 am

My brother has a Sankey 256 MB player, reference is MP3-2561 and for the first two months it worked perfectly, he could copy up to near 256 MB in MP3 files successfully and all of them sounded perfectly, but recently a file became unplayable and even unerasable, so he decided to reformat the player and now it's a 119 MB player (maybe 128 MB). And no, there were no disk error and no format error when copying more than 128 MB to the player before the reformatting (and of course, after it, neither). ¿Is there any way to recover the lost memory size in this case?

(edited later) Oh, and the mini-CD that came with the player was empty!

And now I have seen a better topic about that problem, "About the decreasing memory problem" on viewtopic.php?t=892 (About the decreasing memory problem)

(added 2006jan29 15:53Col)

viewtopic.php?t=66 Player Problem [AKA: the original memory issue topic]
viewtopic.php?t=349 decreased Player memory
viewtopic.php?t=503 Memory decreased, ONLY VOTE IF YOUR MEMORY HAS DECREASED!!!!
windom

Postby JedOi » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:36 pm

Hi bocardi,

It would be a lot of hassle trying to find a proper 1GB chip and de-solder the old one then solder in a replacement ...

You wouldn't need to use different firmware ... your original firmware would work ok, you would just need to format the new memory chip.

But the connections on these chips are so, so small because they are SMDs (surface mount devices) ... unless you have a jewelers eyeglass and a soldering iron with a 1/2mm tip (assuming you can get a larger chip to graft in) ... it really wouldn't be worth messing about with.

If you have the opportunity to return it and get a replacement with the right sized memory that you paid for then I strongly recommend that you take that option ;)

Good luck.
JedOi

Postby leboss81 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:20 pm

i need your helps.i have s1mp3player s81.whith amp2051 i cant find the firmware..please halp..
leboss81

Postby ooty_boy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:21 pm

Thanks everyone for helping me discover my faked player.

I bought a 512M player from a suburban computer shop here in Australia, and formatted it an hour later to start fresh (and remove the ubiquitous Celine Dion tracks these things always seem to come with).

After formatting I suddenly had only about 244MB. After a few hours of reformatting and reflashing to try and get back to 512MB I found this forum and opened the player up to find a 256M chip (Samsung 2Gbit). They'd even gone to the trouble of putting a big "512MB" sticker on top of the memory chip that had to be removed to read the part number.

Took it straight back and got my money back. The guy who sold it to me was pretty mad (at his wholesaler, not me), and I think he'd been genuinely ripped off. His shop has been around a long time and he was trying to contact the people he'd sold players to.

The lesson is, format your player straight away (at the shop if you can) and then see if the formatted size matches the claimed size.[/img]
ooty_boy

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware (Hacks, information, fixes)