Windows 98 SE (Second Edition) + VIA + AMD ... USB Patch ...

Hardware hacks, chipset information and other hardware related topics.

Windows 98 SE (Second Edition) + VIA + AMD ... USB Patch ...

Postby JedOi » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:18 am

Just out of interest for anyone still using Windows 98 SE (searched the forum but couldn't find any other references to this) ...

Windows 98 SE (second edition) had a bug which meant that (with certain combinations of CPU & Chipsets) the USB port timing either didn't work or was very intermittent ... there was a patch available to fix this problem which you can still download from here ... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240075

Description
This patch from Microsoft fixes a hardware-specific problem affecting USB connections on PCs with a VIA USB Controller and AMD processor. This is only for Windows 98 Second Edition. Here is how Microsoft describes it:

"Universal Serial Bus (USB) devices that are plugged into a computer running Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition may not work if the following hardware components are installed on the computer: AMD processor (running at 350 MHz or faster) and VIA Technologies USB controller.

This behaviour occurs because there is a timing-specific problem in the Universal Host Controller driver (Uhcd.sys) that may prevent USB devices from be properly enumerated under specific timing conditions."

Here is how The Software Patch describes it:

Some times when you plug in a piece of hardware (eg camera, modem, MP3 player) into the USB connection you find that it works. Other times, it doesn?t. The reason this happens is that there is a problem in the programming. This patch will fix it.

Hope this helps some of you ;)

edit ian_hawdon: Made this sticky
Last edited by JedOi on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JedOi

!

Postby chicksey » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:01 am

and what happens if the S1MP4 user is on windows XP ? None from the drivers work on this interface -,-
chicksey

My MP3 player is not getting detected.

Postby CouchPotato » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:12 pm

I have Windows 98 installed. Under Device Manager, there are 2 entries for USB controllers, Intel 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller and USB Root Hub. And my processor is Pentium III.

The player gets detected on 2 of my friends' PCs which has Win 98. My hard disk had bad sectors and so I'm not using my C drive. Win is installed on drive D. Could this be the problem? It should be noted that my Digicam and webcam are being detected fine on the same USB port.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
CouchPotato

Repost

Postby rollinjetta » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:49 pm

The link does not work can you repost it or is there another site that I couls download this patch from.

Thanks
rollinjetta

Postby JedOi » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:12 pm

Link updated, sorry bout that rollinjetta & welcome to the forum ;)

This particular issue only applies to AMD processors @ CouchPotato, I don't think having the OS installed on drive D: should cause any problems ... try running through the S1mp3 troubleshooter on the Wiki pages ;)
JedOi

Return to Hardware (Hacks, information, fixes)