What is swan the project?

Topics related to the S1mp3.org project (webpage, politics, etc.)

Moderator: wladston

What is swan the project?

Postby miketowninc » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:19 pm

Can some one please take the time to tell me what the swan project is? thanks very much.
miketowninc
Beginner

Postby Schopf » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:07 pm

Schopf

Postby miketowninc » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:44 pm

thanks, i tried to loook for it in wiki. thanks.cant wait for it to come out!!
Its for mp4 and mp3 right?
miketowninc
Beginner

Postby Schopf » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:38 pm

Yes, but it will take 2 years or more to have something running fine and usefull
Schopf

Re: What is swan the project?

Postby sirius » Wed May 06, 2009 10:43 pm

"Yes, but it will take 2 years or more to have something running fine and usefull"

Two years have passed and project stands still. Actually I was tracing progress for very long, trying to contribute, and some time ago I just left. Now I just dropped in to check what's up, and everything is exactly the same as I left it a year ago... I think it's about the time to say what I was going to say a long time ago- there are no chances that project will be finished ever. Those chinese mp3 players are mostly trashed now, all the new hardware changed a lot, and actually most people use players embedded in their mobile phones. Development progress is too slow and live is way too fast and too short.

Probably it is my last post on this forum and in subject of The Swan Project; so goodbye and wish developers good luck.
Sirius

Fw: B002G2V1.1A
Date: 2006/06/24
Core: 3.5.37
Date: 2005/03/15
sirius
Beginner

Postby Schopf » Wed May 06, 2009 11:06 pm

Swan project is dead and I may point a few factors to that:

1 - Mp3/mp4 players are very cheap now and people can just drop them away, even working.
2 - Hardware changed a lot and project couldnt math with that.
3 - There was/is a lack of knowledge about mp3 players operation.
4 - There is no interest in making mp3 players doing other things than play music/movies.
5 - You may find small devices which will do what you need.
6 - People will spend too much time and effort to have a bit more than nothing running in their devices.

So, dont wait nothing more from Swan. WiRe gave up too. Take a look in http://www.s1mp3.de

I think it was a good project 4-5 years ago. Now, it doesnt make sense anymore.
Schopf

Postby wladston » Wed May 06, 2009 11:13 pm

Agree.

But still, I find that it could be a nice learning task to do Swan, considering there are no good open source 8-bit kernels, it might be good to the community too.

The project is dead, but as long as 8-bit machines are cheaper to manufacture than 16-bit machines, I have hopes on it. Even if 16-bit machines become cheaper than 8-bit machines, I belive that smaller nanocomputers with 8-bit will be easier to manufacture. So I still have my unchanged interest for Swan and any other 8-bit open source kernel

sirius, I think you should consider that too.
1GB Standard s1 mp3 player. (MP-482C MAIN V8)
1GB "mp4" s1mp3 player. Not remarked.
I DO __NOT__ reply to PM's. Send email instead. I won't be even notified for new PM's.
wladston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ian_hawdon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:35 am

Yeah, it's a shame the project never really got further than a pipedream. But on the plus side, we helped millions of users get their players up and running again after a bad firmware upgrade! (myself included!)
On the plus side, if it wasn't for this project, I probably would never have heard of the Rockbox project ( http://www.rockbox.org/ ) which I use pretty much everyday on my iPod!
I think SWAN would have worked, if all the S1 players were wired the same (or very similar), it was that that caused development to be slow, and I think we came to the sad realisation that there are literally millions of players branded as "S1 Mp3 Player" all with totally different hardware layouts!
Who is General Error and why is he reading my hard drive? :D

If any of my posts have helped you, or if you're interested, click this link and sign up to help me get a free iPhone: http://apple.real-incentives.com/40461
ian_hawdon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to S1mp3.org project