What's wrong with cyrillic font???

Making the s1mp3 look prettier!

What's wrong with cyrillic font???

Postby SAZAR » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:44 pm

(I searched this forum for similar issues. no luck. help.)

When I open my 'firmware file' (dump.bin) in s1res.exe, s1mp3 messages in cyrillic (e.g. Russian) show gibberish letters (latin with diacritics and stuff), but of I know that it's Russian.

I'm totally confused here.

When I change language setting from EN to some cyrillic language I write text that shows gibberish where it's written (but slightly different gibberish than that mentioned - that one in the list, which is shown correctly on mp4 player (cyrillic languages that came with mp4)).
So, it's gibberish in the writing field, BUT it shows up in the list as correct cyrillic. The thing is - when I copy that firmware file to my mp4 player the text that was normal cyrilic in the s1res list of messages shows on the screen of the mp4 player as gibberish (latin with diacritics).

What's the deal here???

I mean - do you get it? - Everything is messed up.

1.)
What's shown as cyrilic on mp4 player's screen -> shows as one type of gibberish in the s1res editor list.

2.)
What's written as cyrilic -> shows in the editor field as a second type of gibberish, but in the editor list as normal cyrilic (now pay attention to statement in (1.) - obviously if you want to have it displayed correctly on mp4's screen it has to be "type 1" gibberish in the editor's list)

How to solve this??

Is there some conversion table - what gibberish letter should be replaced with what cyrillic??

I translated the entire messige list and it's all useless. Help me convert this stuff to what it should be.
SAZAR
s3 poster

Postby SAZAR » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:05 pm

:) Here I am once again answering to my own question...

-----------------------------------

Since noone answered, I checked it out myself; so to help anyone else who might stumble across this issue, the problem was:

Cyrillic letters are offset by -16 fields for some (I don't know what) reason compared to cyrillic font on PC.

-----------------------------------

Maybe that's a common problem, maybe it's just me...

Maybe the s1res.exe is guilty, maybe mp4 manufacturers offseted it, maybe my computer isn't configurated exactly as it should be, or some option isn't activated (although I don't know how come - I enabled cyrillic languages, and in the Language settings I checked conversion for those languages (that story about "If program uses non-standard character set what should computer display it as?"))

So, if you want mp4 player to show cyrillic letter 'a' you have to trace it back in the character table by 16 fields backwards and write that character in the editor. (Windows has an utility called "Character Map" (CharMap.exe) so use that)

----------------------------

Solution is to write all translation strings into some TXT file as a list, so you can do with it what ever you wish (e.g. use 'Replace' function to replace characters in thet text file with the corresponding ones...) and latter copy one by one into apropriate translation fields...

First I thought: that's hard, I better find font's bitmap and offset it all bitmap-wise in a matter of seconds, but I didn't know what font bitmap to change (and there is an odd thing about it all: I observed e.g. letter 'e' on the mp4's display - non of letters in the font bitmap had the exact bitmap! What's wrong here? What font bitmap mp4 uses, how come it isn't offered in the s1res editor as a resource? Also, cyrillic letters are odd - those that have a hanging part (like 'y'or 'p'...) are raised so 'p' looks like 'P'... which is cr***y...).

-------------------------------

So:
WHAT IS THE DEFINITIVE UP-TO-DATE PROCEDURE TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE FONT BITMAP MP4 USES?
SAZAR
s3 poster

Postby SAZAR » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:50 pm

So:
WHAT IS THE DEFINITIVE UP-TO-DATE PROCEDURE TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE FONT BITMAP MP4 USES?
SAZAR
s3 poster

Postby Zim_256 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:30 pm

The graphics table in the MPx font are arranged like this:

To edit the font table, disassemble the font as in the picture, edit it and reassemble in the opposed direction.
Z6 Comp Sys
Zim_256
s1 mp3 poster
s1 mp3 poster

Postby SAZAR » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:56 pm

Zim_256 wrote:The graphics table in the MPx font are arranged like this:

To edit the font table, disassemble the font as in the picture, edit it and reassemble in the opposed direction.

Which font file in the s1res.exe? ...And what is the deal with other font files? Are they used at all? Why is there more than one font bitmap file?

I think I checked even those halved ones - I was trying to find letter 'e' with exact bitmap as seen on the screenof the mp4, but I couldn't.
I was going by the logic that it is useless to try to convert some graphic symbol if it prooves non-identical to what mp4's screen shows.

I'll check it again...
SAZAR
s3 poster

Postby Zim_256 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:17 am

The first bitmaps shown in s1res are the fonts, there are three named ASC??.BIN, KOR???.BIN, JP???.BIN.
These states for Chinese, japanese, korean and the other font we can understand ;).

You'll have to look at the three bitmap tables, make modifications on a few letters and see if it affects the MP3 application. If the modification on the PC has no effect on the MP3, you are modifying the wrong letter/font.
Z6 Comp Sys
Zim_256
s1 mp3 poster
s1 mp3 poster

Postby SAZAR » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:35 pm

OK now, I have an offical anouncment to make here in the right place, the s1mp3 forum:

The Serbian cyrillic translation of ALL the textual options for the "Blueberry" brand s1mp3 mp4 player is COMPLETED.

It gave me a lot of wrestle, trouble and struggle, but finally I totally NAILED it down.

The order and place of the characters (the difference between standard (PC) and s1mp3 fonts) gave me the most of trouble, but I solved that with the ultimate solution, heh, heh, it didn't stand a chance.

Now I have the character conversion table, the .txt list of all the phrases in the translation AND the actual 'dump.bin' file - all nice and tidy (the exact number of letters was removed from other (unneeded) language translations (sacrificed were: Spanish, Portugeese and Netherland... oh, and Russian) in order to make space for the Serbian translation symbols). Of course there is still that lousy half-a**ed latin-script "Serbian/Croatian" excuse for a language translation that cam with the player available (phhh... most things aren't translated at all).
My translation is complete and utter rewrite. And it's cyrillic! :) Which is nice (also, from this one I can easily create latin-script version - no problem) It took A LOT of work, but it's finally there.

Completely different issue: I still don't like cirillic font on mp4 - because the "hanging letters" (such as 'p' or 'y') are raised, but it's not that bad (except some lower case letters look like upper ones... darn it), so, if someone can locate the system font used on it - any help is appreciated!

If someone wants a translation for some other cyrillic language (such as Russian, Ukrainian, Belarus, Polish, Macadonian, Bulgarian... Kazak... Whatever...) - I'm here glad to help. Just give me .txt list of translations and your firmware file, and I'll "put 2 and 2 together" what to do with it...
SAZAR
s3 poster

Return to Graphics/Themes