Suggestion - do not buy any of the Chinesee MP4 watches

For topics specific to the s1mp3s with that LCD coloured screen.

Suggestion - do not buy any of the Chinesee MP4 watches

Postby SAZAR » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:59 pm

I bought three watches and these are my expiriences (so consider them predictions for what would happen to you (I'm sorry to say this because the idea is cool, but realisation is so poor it isn't worth it - a bad exprience at the end (you better wait and pay a lot for the one that will serve you for years and have much more options than to pay for this and leave it somwhere as paperwaight because they malfunction after less than a year); what' can I do - that's the way they make them...)):

- Buttons will start failing for no reason just a few weeks after you start using the watch. They'll stop clicking - that's the first sign.
- USB cables will break easily inside if you fold the cable and those short-circuiting cables can lead to data errors and errors in firmware as well as damage to one or both sound channels if USB and sound are on one port; and those 3in1 cables are unstandard so te question is will you find the replacement (and without you can't use the watch)
- screen will start showing gibberish for no reason few months after you start using it and after it would go blank (that happened to my black plastic watch)
- it is possible that they send you the wrong model version even if you specificaly say what you want (e.g. prismatic glass on screen instead of round beveled screen)
- some watches are unstable - for no reason they show blank sceen and begin heating and you can't stop if you don't have power plug or computer near to "woodoo-magic" this strange phenomenon out
- user manuals are "me-Tarzan-you Jane", and they don't say what you don't know
- some functions are impossible to be used (like slideshow) on some watches
- firmware programs are unstable, lame, improvised, totally unprofessional, they don't have help documentation

My suggestion is to wait for a well known quality brand (I don't know... Sony, Casio,Samsung, LG, Panasonic...) to make decant watches - thinner nicer looking watches, with possibility to change/add programs or graphics, with stable firmware, professional aplications etc. So save your dream for something that deservs it - just say no and wait for a quality product - maybe there is one already?

It was a bad expirience, i had to write all this...
SAZAR
s3 poster

Re: Suggestion - do not buy any of the Chinesee MP4 watches

Postby SAZAR » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:36 pm

And also - if you buy that stainless steel watch,
like this one:
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resourc ... _watch.jpg
have in mind that it will dissapoint you at the begining because screens on those smudge bright pixels all the way horizontaly on darker backgrounds - like a malfunctioning TV set
and they wouldn't say that in the the description won't they.
SAZAR
s3 poster

Postby SAZAR » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:39 pm

If I spared at least one person of lane of dissapointment I went trough by buying these poorly manufactured sh1ts I'm sattisfied and have a peaceful conscience.
SAZAR
s3 poster

Postby SAZAR » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:40 pm

If you buy them you are a victim of fraud. (just so you know)
SAZAR
s3 poster

Postby SAZAR » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:27 am

Regarding mp4 watch issue - I think these two improvements would mean much:
1. separate simple classic LCD screen for time and date which are visible always (instead of pushing button each time to see the time)
2. external changeable battery - because it would make watch much smaller without huge battery stuck inside (and you can detach the emptied battery and put charged one so you can use it longer), and since you need battery only when you want to use watch as mp4 player most time you would have a nice thin watch on your wrist. (there would be other, small, battery inside to power the clock at all times; and when you attach external battery the large screen would also show time)

But that reminded me of old SEIKO's tv watch:

It should look something like it - that's a great solution. External battery could be exactly in the place of that black thing on top of this watch.
SEIKO should try to make such watch.
It would have all the functions of these Chinese watches, and more (I really miss PDA functions - such as - MEMO, TO DO, CALENDAR, ALARM function, and also stop-watch would be nice add-on ...maybe even a calculator function. simply put: it shoud be a combination of full-function digital WATCH, MP4 player and PDA).
Of course it would be best if you could simply put programs into watch and run any one of them - any function you wish. It's a nice thing to have something like that on your wrist instead of carying things in your pockets - everything you need would be right there on your wrist.
SAZAR
s3 poster

Postby SAZAR » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:48 pm

Oh! And to emphasize: NO built-in transmitters of any sort!
(I've seen those wristwatch mobile phones and I don't like it cause they are just so ridiculously fat.)

The perfect wristwatch gadget is what I said:
- FULL-FUNCTION DIGITAL WATCH
- FULL-FUNCTION MP4 PLAYER
- FULL-FUNCTION PDA

That's all. Simple as that.
Make them to be a quality product that could serve you for decades without spontaneous malfunctions of any kind,
slim and practical to wear - not too huge to draw peoples' attention,
and with detachable hi-capacity batery
(small non-rechargable long life internal battery also easily replacable by user).

----
Additionaly: it would be good if you could easily put/replace new programs and customizations in it.
Make that one and then dedicate a site to it so you could download additional software (like games (cards, yacht, chess, other logical and even action games)) and customizations; encourage users to make their own customisations (even software (trough provided program language software)) and post them to that site. That would be fun.
SAZAR
s3 poster

Return to Usability on the MP4 players